If you are looking for a door lock for use in external doors, the chances are that you are looking for a lock that is designed to offer high-class security. While there are a variety of locks on the market, most of us opt to go with deadbolt locks since these are the most effective ways of securing a door. The only challenge that most of us face, however, is picking the best deadbolt lock considering the various types on the market.
To help you with this task, we have reviewed the top 10 best door locks in 2019. Remember, unlike most of the competitor products, these deadbolts are tested and most customers have proved that they are worth purchasing. So, keep reading as you look forward to heightening the security level of your home or office.
Best Deadbolt Locks Reviewed!
- Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
- Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
- Baldwin Prestige 380 Round Single Cylinder Deadbolt
- Yale Security YRD256-NR-619 Assure Lock SL Slim Touchscreen deadbolt
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Kwikset 99130-002 SmartCode 913 UL Electronic Deadbolt
- Kwikset 907 Powerbolt 2.0 Electronic Deadbolt
- Medeco Maxum Residential Deadbolt
- Schlage BE365VCAM619 BE365V CAM 619 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt
- Schlage BE469NX CAM 625 Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
1. Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
Benefit from the convenience of going keyless and the peace of mind by no longer forgetting or losing keys once you get the Schlage Z-wave Connect Touchscreen Deadbolt.
As the name suggests, the deadbolt adopts the Z-wave technology. Because of this you can connect it to the home automation system and lock and unlock the door remotely via a smartphone or computer. More to that, the deadbolt works with Alexa for voice control. This means that you can get it with an assurance of convenience and ease of use.
You can get the Schlage touchscreen deadbolt as the answer to providing the highest level of security at the main entry point, thanks to the high-quality materials and the ANSI grade-1 certified rating. Also, the deadbolt is a great choice when you need to get an alert when there is an activity at the door since it features a built-in alarm sensor.
The sensor provides for three alert modes among these tamper, activity, and forced entry so that you can get a notification when someone comes into contact with the door and once the door is opened.
- An illuminated touchscreen allows you to enter the passcode at night or in low-lit areas.
- Fingerprint-resistant touchscreen and matte finish enhance ease of cleaning by protecting the touchscreen from smudges.
- User guide and installation instructions enhance ease of use and set up.
- A thumb turn interior and a touchscreen keypad and lock cylinder on the exterior guarantee a user-friendly design.
- The deadbolt comes with four AA batteries so that you can use it as soon as it arrives.
- One backup key guarantees peace of mind.
- The lock stores up to 30 personalized passcodes.
- The lock features a sleek and modern design.
- The alarm is loud enough to notify you of possible entry.
- The battery coverlets in some moisture.
- The deadbolt is quite pricey.
2. Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
Do you forget to lock up your door when you are in a hurry? If yes, you can step up to the Kwikset electronic deadbolt. Designed to auto-lock after 30 seconds, this deadbolt is a sure bet when you are looking for one that will leave you with peace of mind not having to worry whether or not your door is locked.
In addition, the deadbolt includes eight customizable access codes and a master code option. Because of this, you can set your preferred locking option which guarantees maximum safety.
You can get this deadbolt for use on standard doors, thanks to the included latch that features a backset that is adjustable from 2-3/8” to 2-3/4”. Besides that, a deadbolt is a convenient option for one that is designed to be used in low-lit environments since it features a backlit keypad designed to guarantee increased visibility.
- Bump-proof design guarantees strength.
- Tamper-resistant cover and sleek metal design ensure a stylish look while enhancing durability.
- Lock button enhances a one-touch locking function.
- Satin nickel finish ensures a stylish look.
- The deadbolt is easy to set up since it comes with the items required for assembly.
- The buttons light up nicely making them easy to use in low-light areas.
- The different switch flash colors make it easy for the user to determine if the deadbolt is locked or unlocked.
- The deadbolt doesn’t come with the required AA batteries.
3. Baldwin Prestige 380 Round Single Cylinder Deadbolt
Are you looking forward to ensuring easy accessibility in your home while providing maximum security? If yes, Baldwin Prestige single cylinder deadbolt is the way to go. Featuring a SmartKey security design, this deadbolt allows you to re-key your lock in seconds so that you will never have to worry when you lose your keys or once the keys exchange hands.
Besides that, the deadbolt features a drill-protection, and a saw proof design. Because of these, you can get it with an assurance of getting protected from forced entry techniques which makes it an excellent pick for those who want to ensure that their home is safe at all times.
You can install the deadbolt in a variety of doors since it fits doors that are 1-3/8″ to 1-3/4″ thick. More to that, you can get the deadbolt when you want to ensure a stylish look wherever you want to install it since it is available in four finishes enabling you to select one that suits your setting.
- Advanced SmartKey security ensures protection against undetectable entry methods including lock picking.
- A patented side locking bar on the BumpGuard component ensures protection against lock bumping techniques.
- The deadbolt comes with two keys.
- The re-key technology allows one to rekey the lock often without the need for replacing the whole lock.
- High-quality metal ensures that the exterior is safe from elements that result in rusting and corrosion.
- The finishes are attractive and suitable for use in modern decors.
- Some users state that they had challenges installing the deadbolt.
- The instructions aren’t clear.
4. Yale Security YRD256-NR-619 Assure Lock SL Slim Touchscreen deadbolt
Lock and unlock your doors without the hassle of keys once you get Yale security touchscreen deadbolt. With the ability to let you create up to 25 unique pin codes, this is one of the deadbolts to acquire when you need to share the password with friends and relatives.
In fact, the deadbolt is a 100% key-free. As a result, you can forget about the need to rekey because of lost keys and unpermitted entries which result because of bump break-ins and picking.
The deadbolt is designed to install on 1-3/8” to 2-1/4” thick doors using a 2-1/8” face borehole, 1” edge borehole and 2-3/4” or 2-3/8” backrest. Also, you can install it on misaligned doors since it features a fully motorized tapered deadbolt.
The deadbolt comes in three beautiful finishes which means that you can select a finish that suits your decor design. Besides that, it features a tamper-resistant battery cover and a weather-resistant gasket designed to ensure strength and protect the deadbolt from damage as a result of various elements.
- 9-volt battery backup protects you from getting locked out because of a dead battery.
- Optional settings provide room for customizing the tamper alarms, auto-relock, and privacy modes.
- Voice assistance mode guides you through the menu and pin creation.
- Backlit touchscreen keypad allows you to keying in the passcode in low-lit areas.
- The lock provides low battery indications so that you can charge it before the battery gets drained.
- The numbers on the keypad don’t wear off.
- You can lock the door by tapping the keypad or engaging the auto-relock.
- The touchscreen keypad wakes up with a touch enhancing ease of use.
- The deadbolt is easy to install.
- The Yale Secure app is easy to use and allows a user to manage up to 25 pin codes.
- It is not possible to create a code that works for a limited amount of time.
- The deadbolt requires you to add the passcodes manually via the keypad. There is no option to do this through a smartphone which is quite inconvenient.
5. Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
Forget about the need for you to keep track of spare keys once you install Schlage sense smart deadbolt. The fact that you can key in an access code on the touchscreen makes it a great choice when you want to forget about the need for you to protect the keys.
Besides that, the deadbolt works with the iOS and Android smartphone app. Because of this you can manage the codes with much ease and set the desired schedules.
You can pair the Schlage sense smart deadbolt with Apple HomeKit devices so that you can use it with iOS and Siri voice control. Besides that, you can get the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter which is sold separately so that you can lock and unlock the doors from any point using an iPad, iPod, smartphone, or iPhone.
Schlage smart deadbolt is easy to install since you can install it within minutes and without the need for professional help. With it, you don’t have to worry once the power goes out since the lock accepts the passcodes even when there is a power outage.
- Battery-operated design means that you do not need to hardwire the deadbolt.
- A low battery indicator notifies you when the battery needs a replacement.
- Satin nickel finish enhances strength and a stylish look.
- The batteries last for long where the typical battery life is one year on average use.
- The lock pairs to a phone via Bluetooth with much ease.
- It is possible to update the lock via the app on the smartphone so that you will not be required to buy a new lock to take advantage of the latest technology.
- The app gets quite inconvenient at times since it logs you out necessitating you to log in severally.
- Some users also state that the app is slow.
6. Kwikset 99130-002 SmartCode 913 UL Electronic Deadbolt
As one of the best deadbolt locks the Kwikset 99130-002 Electronic Deadbolt features a keyless entry touchpad making it easy to use. Further, it includes a SmartKey feature. This feature gives you the option to rekey the lock in three simple steps so that you will never have to worry once you misplace your key.
You can get the deadbolt lock as an answer to a deadbolt that is designed to last since it features a sleek metal design and a tamper-resistant cover. Furthermore, the deadbolt is a great pick for one that is designed to guarantee a stylish look since it features a sleek interior and a satin nickel finish.
- 10-digit backlit keypad ensures visibility at night or in low-lit areas.
- 30-seconds auto-look function allows the deadbolt lock to lock automatically when you forget to close.
- 16 customizable access codes enhance better security.
- Bump-guard protection guarantees strength.
- The lock installs in minutes since it doesn’t need to be hardwired.
- It fits standard size doors i.e. 1-3/8” to 2” thick doors.
- The deadbolt lock doesn’t come with the required batteries.
7. Kwikset 907 Powerbolt 2.0 Electronic Deadbolt
Access your home with the convenience of a keyless entry once you install the Kwikset electronic deadbolt. Featuring a SmartKey re-key technology, this is one of the deadbolt locks to acquire when you are looking for one that you can rekey so that you will never have to worry once you misplace the key.
Moreover, the lock is ANSI/BHMA grade 3 certified which makes it a great pick when you are looking for a deadbolt lock that is safe to use and one that is certified to guarantee its strength.
You can expect the lock to fit all standard doors, thanks to the adjustable backset feature that enables it to fit a variety of doors. Also, the deadbolt installs with a lot of ease and with less time since it doesn’t require any hardwiring, where it operates with 4AA batteries.
Kwikset Powerbolt electronic deadbolt features a bump-proof and pick-resistant design to enhance durability and safety. It sounds an alarm when it detects five consecutive incorrect codes while the keypad gets deactivated for 45 seconds in a measure to protect it from locking up because of attempted entry.
- Satin nickel finish protects against smudges while enhancing strength.
- An illuminated keypad allows the user to key in the passcode at night and in low-lit areas.
- Low battery indicator notifies you when it is time to recharge the batteries.
- Customizable user codes mean that you can program up to six individual codes so that you can allow different people to access your premises.
- One-time use of temporary code works great when you want to let in a contractor or a person who comes for a short while.
- The lock is easy to use since you can lock the door with a single touch.
- You can use the Master code feature to enhance better security.
- The deadbolt lock is easy to install and program.
- The components located in the latch are made using plastic.
- The buttons respond slowly after pressing.
8. Medeco Maxum Residential Deadbolt
Step up to superior security once you install Medeco Maxum residential deadbolt. As one of the recommended products, this deadbolt is designed for those who want to ensure maximum security in homes in offices.
Among the features that make it effective at this is the hardened steel inserts and the rotating pins that are drill-and-pick resistant. Further, the deadbolt features solid brass which is a great choice when you are looking for a deadbolt lock that is designed to deliver years of reliable performance.
- The deadbolt exceeds Grade1 ANSI/BHMA A156.36 standards to guarantee durability and functionality.
- ¼” diameter mounting bolts resist breakage as a result of attacks.
- 1” throw hardened steel bolts resist crowbar attacks and sawing.
- The lock fits doors that are 1-3/4” to 2″ thick.
- One cannot duplicate the key without the right credentials.
- Heavy-duty constriction ensures strength.
- The lock is easy to install.
- The instructions are quite vague.
- The product is pricey for some users.
9. Schlage BE365VCAM619 BE365V CAM 619 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt
An easy way to enhance the style of your home and keep it safe is by installing the Schlage Camelot keypad deadbolt. The deadbolt allows you to create and delete access codes making it suitable for use by friends and family. In fact, the deadbolt comes when pre-programmed with two access codes which makes it suitable for use as soon as it arrives.
Besides that, it features a backlit keypad. The keypad design makes it an excellent choice for use in low-lit areas or at night. You can get the deadbolt lock as the answer to a lock that is easy to install since it doesn’t call for any wiring. Furthermore, the deadbolt lock is an excellent choice for one that is designed to fit standard doors since it comes with universal latches and deadbolts.
- A low battery indicator enables you to have an idea when it is time to recharge.
- The backlit keypad allows the user to key in the passcode in low-lit areas.
- Premium metal construction is designed to guarantee strength.
- Silicone-coated keypad prevents wearing off of the numbers.
- The lock is difficult to break.
- The deadbolt is easy to install.
- The numbers on the keypad do not wear easily.
- Several users state that lithium batteries drain fast with this deadbolt.
- Other users state that the lock is difficult to program.
10. Schlage BE469NX CAM 625 Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
Last but not least is another Schlage product; the BE469NX CAM 625 Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt. The lock works with Alexa for voice control but to use this feature; you need to purchase the hub separately. Also, it adopts the Z-wave technology. This technology enables it to connect to the home automation system so that you can lock and unlock the door using a computer or smartphone.
You can get this product when you are looking for one that is certified to guarantee security and strength since it is ANSI Grade1 approved to offer the highest residential security. Furthermore, the deadbolt lock is a great pick when you are looking for one that is easy to install due to the universal latches that slide into place without the need for tools or manual adjustments.
The lock includes a durable resistive touchscreen to assure you of getting a durable item. On the other hand, the touchscreen features a matte finish which is designed to protect against smudges and fingerprints so that you will never have to worry about cleanup stress. The deadbolt lock can hold up to 30 user codes which means that it is an excellent choice when you need different users to use personalized codes.
- An anti-pick shield protects against lock tampering.
- The illuminated touchscreen allows the user to key in the passcode at night and in low-lit areas.
- Built-in alarm technology allows for three alert modes including activity, tamper, and forced entry so that you can know when someone contacts the door to when the door is opened.
- A user guide and installation instructions enhance ease of use and installation.
- The lock is easy to use and install.
- The alarm system is loud enough to notify you of attempted entry.
- The batteries last longer.
- The battery coverlets in some moisture.
- The deadbolt came with only one backup key.
Buying Guide For Deadbolt Lock
A deadbolt lock is a trustworthy name in exterior door security worldwide. In fact, many people consider deadbolt as the epitome of security. You can use a deadbolt lock for either commercial or residential front doors. It has versatile use though it is not easy to choose the right one for you. You need to consider various areas while buying a deadbolt lock.
Choosing the type of deadbolt lock – Double or Single Cylinder?
Cylinder operated deadbolts are mainly of two types: single cylinder and double cylinder. A single-cylinder deadbolt is operated with a key from outside of the door while a double cylinder deadbolt allows operating the key from either side of the door. You can lock and unlock the single cylinder deadbolt from inside using thumb turn as it has a twist knob on the inside area.
On the other hand, as the double cylinder deadlock comes with both interior and exterior keyholes, you need to use a key from both the exterior and the interior side of the door for locking or unlocking. No thumb turn mechanism is present in the double cylinder lock.
Single-cylinder deadbolts are more popular and common than double cylinder deadbolts because of the following reasons:
- Efficiency and user-friendly
- Easy and quick installation
As a result, a single-cylinder lock is perfect for emergency exit. On the other hand, thieves can easily break the windows and reach inside for the thumb-turn mechanism. However, modern windows are sturdy, preventing to break by force.
The main reason for choosing a double cylinder lock is its enhanced security. Double cylinder deadbolts are best for doors with glass panels or adjacent windows. As there is no interior twist knob, double cylinder deadbolts prevent the possibility of entering the house by breaking the glass. An intruder cannot go inside by breaking the glass or windows because there is no thumb-turn mechanism for unlocking from inside.
However, many areas banned double cylinder lock. Its strength is also its weakness. As one cannot go inside or outside by breaking glass or windows, it is an alarming condition for emergency situations like burning. In the event of a fire, a double cylinder deadbolt may stop you from quick exist unless you can use the right key.
In amended article 5.33A, Texas Insurance Code prohibited double cylinder lock: “Double-cylinder deadbolts that lock from both sides are prohibited by City of Arlington Fire Code and considered a safety hazard”.
Fortunately, some companies come with a “captive thumb turn” key that allows you to remove the thumb turn and converts the lock from a single cylinder to a double cylinder deadbolt. However, this idea is useless in an emergency situation as you can remove the thumb-turn and make it a double cylinder deadbolt.
We recommend using single-cylinder deadbolts with ANSI Grade 1 for exterior doors. It is also suggested to avoid glass doors.
ANSI/ BHMA Grade
All deadbolt quality is not the same. There is a grading system that will tell you how strong your deadbolt is or what type of physical punishment or hammer blows it can tolerate if someone wants to go inside through destroying the deadbolt. As a result, before installing a deadbolt, you should know the grade of your deadbolts so that you can choose the right type of deadbolt for commercial or residential use.
Deadbolt grades are defined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). ANSI is a non-profit organization that evaluates and analyzes the development of standards for various industries including hardware products, safety glasses, and security devices.
The aim of ANSI is to ensure standardization in the builder’s hardware by analyzing the performance standards. Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA), a trade association accredited by ANSI, also adopts these standards and grading.
A product such as a deadbolt lock with ANSI/ BHMA trademark gives you quality assurance for a certain level. These standardization grades are given through the various operational and security tests which will help you to identify the performance quality and durability of the door lock.
Though certification is not mandatory, a product with ANSI/ BHMA benchmarks will assure you the fact that the product is tested and audited. It will also make the product manufacturing procedures effective to produce a high-performance product that not only ensures durability but also gives quality.
For a specific hardware item, ANSI/BHMA standards declare four product grades (grades 1,2, 3 and 4) for hardware products where grade 1 denotes the highest levels of performance standards.
For deadbolts, ANSI/BHMA defines three separate grades where different grades represent their level of security. These grades indicate how tough and sturdy the lock when it faces physical punishment like hammer blows, and their opening and closing life-cycles. These grades also represent their life and show how long they can last.
Grade 1 is recognized as the highest quality deadbolt and used for industrial and commercial purposes. If you find a deadbolt with grade 1 specifications, you can rely on this. On the other hand, grade 3 is an average deadbolt, offering minimal security. For becoming a commercial standard, a deadbolt must need to meet ANSI Grade 1 specification.
Grade 3 Deadbolts
Grade 3 deadbolts are average deadbolt which is accepted but gives you minimal security level.
- Tested to resist 800,000 openings and closings.
- Latch bolt size is 5/8 of an inch
- Can withstand two strikes of 75 pounds of force.
Grade 2 Deadbolts
These deadbolts have the same latch bolt size and same opening and closing resistance. The only difference is it can hold up to five strikes of 75 pounds of force.
- It can withstand 800,000 openings and closings cycles.
- Latch bolt size is 5/8 of an inch.
- It can stand up to five strikes of 75 pounds of force.
Grade 1 Deadbolts
This is the highest quality and most dependable deadbolt in the market that can resist 10 strikes from 75 pounds of force. These deadbolts are mostly seen in commercial and industrial buildings rather than homes and residential areas.
- Tested 1 million opening and closing cycles
- Latch bolt size is 1 inch to the door frame.
- Can resist 10 hammer blows without giving way or can tolerate 10 strikes from 75 pounds of force.
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is another safety science company that tested and audited products and writes a barometer for the security of different types of a keyed lock. UL 437 is considered the high-security standard locks and accepted in the security industry. Like ANSI/BHMA grades, UL 437 test also examines the resistance of various attacks such as drilling, picking, prying, and more.
However, in the United States, UL 437 is not recognized as a standard for higher security. Rather, the USA prefers ANSI/BHMA grades.
Another thing to consider while buying a deadbolt lock is the installation process. Most single cylinder deadbolts offer a one-person project where you do not need extra hands for installing the lock. If you love Do-It-Yourself (DIY), you may choose a single-cylinder while for installing the master key system or patented key control, you need to hire an expert locksmith.
Lock with strike plate:
For installing a deadbolt lock, you need to attach the “strike”, a metal plate, to your door jam. This strike plate receives the bolt and holds it firmly. For installing this strike, you need to use 3-inch screws as long screws attach the strike firmly to the door frame and jamb. While buying, it is recommended to choose a lock with a reinforced strike plate with offset screw holes so that extra-long screws and reinforced plates can protect against strong pounding.
Key is the first and foremost thing to consider while purchasing any type of security system. You cannot unlock the deadbolt without a key being inserting the right key into the cylinder. Therefore, you need to focus on the key control system and policy while choosing any types of deadbolts.
Having in mind that the best deadbolt locks are designed to protect our homes from unauthorized entry, no one will want to waste his/her money by purchasing a default product or a lock that isn’t what it is advertised to be. For this reason, I recommend that you buy any of the reviewed best front door locks since these not only include the features to enhance safety but they are also tested and approved to be safe to use.