We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Some links on this page are affiliate links which means that, if you choose to make a purchase, We may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. We really appreciate it!
Are you looking to secure your main gate? Or perhaps your bicycle? Well then, you definitely need the well-built padlocks. No matter whatever locks you may have tried in your lifetime, the traditional padlock can never outsmart some of the modern types of locks.
So, what makes the best padlocks in the world? There is no right or wrong answer to that. When choosing padlocks, the only thing to look for is high security in the padlock. Although there are a number of sizes, shapes, types, styles, and materials available, the best padlock is the one that suits your needs and something that you can make the most out of.
While you are on your crusade for looking for a padlock, your main aim should be to look for one that resists all types of intruder brutality. Think from a thief’s point of view and how the thief might get away with your valuable possessions by evading the padlock. This includes how resistant the padlock is to drilling, cutting, or twisting!
However, in tune with that, don’t forget to make sure that your door or the object that will be padlocked also needs to be strong enough to handle the capacity. Even the top padlocks will not suffice if the door or the object is weak.
How do you make sure that which is the best padlock for you?
Here we are with ten different types of padlocks, whereby, we are sure that you will be able to find your solution. Scroll down and familiarise yourself with some of the top padlocks and what makes them stand out from the crowd.
So, are you ready? Let’s get started!
Best Padlocks Review 2021:
1. Our Top Pick- 4 Digit Combination Lock by Desired Tools: Best Overall Padlock
4 digit Combination lock by desired tools is the simplest and most accessible padlocks you can ever own. The padlock is specifically designed for outdoor fences, shops, schools, hasps, gyms, and storage, but can be used at home, too. With over 10,000 unique, different combinations, the thieves are less likely to crack the code.
The most significant advantage of having one of these padlocks is that you don’t have to stay in fear of losing your keys. Plus, another concern that might take over your mind is that others may duplicate your key. All you need to do is, set a combination, and keep it a secret.
What else can we say about a combination lock? Oh, there is an array of different colors that you could choose from. Even though the padlock already has a remarkable appearance unlike other typical-looking brands, this lock stands out among the crowd and is easily identifiable.
This padlock is a great piece of steel for those who are looking for something to hold on to in the long run. Nonetheless, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee from the manufacturers for which you can rest assured that it’s a reliable product!
- All-weather metal and steel padlock
- Made from pure zinc, alloy, steel, and metal
- Suitable for outdoor
- 4-digit combination lock
- Easy to set up
- All-weather suitable
- 10,000 different unique combinations
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- It May get rusted in the long run
2. Master Lock 178D: Best Padlock for Locker
Master Lock is the one who has taken the industry by storm. Their quality of materials, along with the design and construction, is just out of words. With that being said, we can guarantee you that you can put all your faith in Master Lock 178D, and it won’t let you down.
From the image itself, you can perceive how sturdy and dense the padlock is. It’s the master of all other locks. If you take a closer look, the lock combinations are concealed, making it look stylish as ever. That’s what impressed most of its consumers.
It is an excellent padlock with solid body construction. That’s undoubtedly the most crucial aspect of a padlock, which this padlock does have in it. This quality makes this padlock the most secure and resistant padlock on our list. You will be surprised at how hard and heavy the thing is.
This translates that the padlock is ideal for your protection and security, now whether you use it for your door, gates, cabinets, store, or other outdoor fences. So, what are you waiting for? Buy one now and get started with protecting your valuables.
- 2 inches wide body
- Very heavy and solid; 4.8 pounds
- Concealed combination locks
- Lifetime warranty
- Easy to set and reset
- Lifetime warranty
- Very strong and solid
- Not suitable for outdoor use.
3. ORIA Combination Lock: Best Padlock for Travel Bags
The ORIA Combination lock follows a bit of the other combination locks, but it does have its unique qualities too. Offering over 10,000 unique combinations, there’s nothing better than a security system like the ORIA Combination Lock.
What’s worth highlighting the zinc alloy outer layer that is 100% rust and weatherproof. And of course, the plated steel interior will ensure to keep out others from damaging the locking mechanism.
The padlock is quite small compared to the other models. Note that it’s small but strong! Now, when we say small, what we mean is that it’s about 1.7 x 0.7 x 3.1 inches in size and 9.6 ounces. You can fit this through the holes of your suitcases, employee lockers, or cabinets.
The main difference between this combination lock and other padlocks is that this one comes in a pair. Isn’t that great? This means that you will have one spare latch if by in case one of them gets damaged, there’s always the other one. And anyway, two locks for the Price of one is such a win!
This is one of the best lightweight padlocks. It is also small, anti-rust technology, and weatherproof.
- Manufactured using high-quality materials
- Stainless steel
- Comes in a pack of 2
- Lightweight, versatile design
- Easy to setup
- Excellent anti-rust technology with zinc alloy exterior
- Optimal size
- The padlock might break if it hits hard surfaces.
4. Master Lock 140D
Master Locks are always considered security theatre props, and yet again, this another one of those masterpieces from Master Lock. The 140D is a piece of excellent equipment for indoor as well as the best outdoor padlocks. So, you can effortlessly use it to secure your backpack, briefcases, lockers, and whatnot.
If you’re looking for something cheap and small-sized, there you have it! This padlock has a much higher level of tolerance than similar brands of the same sized padlocks. The hardened steel shackles do take security to the next level as it’s supercut resistant.
With the traditional brass body and steel shackle, these keys have their unique lock system. The good thing about key-based padlocks is that these locks can go on for decades after decades without any difficulty unless someday you lose the key. However, there come two keys with the lock, just so you have a spare one.
The body is powerful and solid, which is what makes it highly durable. Perfect for those who are looking to padlock for doors or cabinets that they won’t be opening for a long time. That’s because if you use a combination lock on those, you might forget the pass lock. So, lock up your valuables and keep the keys safe.
- 1-9/16 inches wide lock body
- Solid brass keyed padlock
- 1/4 inches diameter shackle with 7/8 inches length
- Comes with a pair of keys
- Fits most needs
- Some owners complain about losing the keys or intruders making a duplicate copy of the key.
5. ABUS 37/80 Granit Alloy Steel Padlock
The tensile strength is over 25,000 pounds, which makes it a tough cookie to beat! It has a hardened steel base that offers additional protection against physical attacks. Therefore, physically, the padlock is exceptionally durable. It’s something that has a lifetime warranty.
Best of all, you will never lose its key. The key-retaining feature is its added quality. It makes sure that you never leave your job incomplete and forget your key. Now, even the key-based padlocks are so much more advanced with all the features that it comes with.
The padlock is substantially large and robust. It seems like it can keep people away from stealing your Panzer! Although it’s not as heavy as it looks like in pictures, the top-notch build makes it sturdy, yet lightweight.
All in all, this padlock is a high-security padlock that’s efficient as well as stays in place. With the design and the controls that it already has, it’s pretty straightforward and intuitive. If anyone even tries to breach the lock system, they would be tired and angry than trying to break through it.
- 25,000-Pound of tensile strength
- 65 Rockwell core-hardened lock body and shackle
- Key-retaining feature for extra security
- Hardened steel bottom plate for additional protection against physical attack
- Very strong
- Lightweight, so you can transport it around if needed
- Stylish looking
- No chance of losing the key
- This product has not reported any negative complaints from consumers.
6. Master Lock 40DPF Padlock: Best Padlock for Storage Units
It’s excellent in its construction, and there’s no way anyone can get a bolt cutter in it just to break it off. It fits nicely almost on any storage pod. The unique shape and size make it an ideal choice to hang around practically anywhere.
It may look quite small and cute for its work, but the 4-pin cylinder and dual lock lever mechanism provides pry resistance against cutter attacks. The shrouded design also minimizes shackle exposure.
What’s more, it has a protected shackle that makes it tough for intruders to just break it with any tool that is most commonly used by thieves. On top of that, the retaining feature makes sure that you never leave the padlock unlocked.
Reliable and corrosion-resistant, this padlock is small but mighty. It’s the size of your palm that does its job very effortlessly. And of course, the smooth finish look is a cherry on top of it all.
- 2-3/4-inch (70-millimeter) full stainless-steel lock body resists corrosion
- Double deadbolt locking for superior pry resistance
- The key retaining element ensures the padlock is not left unlocked
- Hardened steel shackle for extra cut resistance
- 4-pin cylinder helps prevent picking
- Small, so it fits in almost everywhere
- Strong security
- Comes with a spare key
- Might not be suitable as a heavy-duty lock.
7. FortLocks Padlock
Padlocks from FortLocks are weatherproof, waterproof and the strongest padlocks in the market of all time. The high-strength zinc alloy lock bodies with hardened steel shackles are all it does have to offer, but it works way more effectively than others.
First of all, the product comes with a 100% lifetime guarantee. Whether you use it indoors or outdoors, nothing will happen to it in decades. It has an excellent anti-rust technology that protects the padlock.
The four-digit padlock is easy to set, read, and maneuver. With about 10,000 unique combinations, it made the extra padlock safe and secure than other brands. The instruction manual has given all the directions that you need to follow.
The most crucial thing about combination locks is that the numbers need to move very smoothly. And the FortLock padlock surely has this quality. It works flawlessly without further ado.
The padlock feels substantial and of really high quality. This well-built, solid metal, a super-easy-to-use padlock is our personal favorite. It has been observed to last longer than most of the other locks available.
- Easy to set a 4-digit combination. This secure lock allows you to set your mix. It only takes minutes, and with 10,000 possible combinations to choose from, you know that this combo lock is secure.
- Durable Zinc Alloy casing and ultra-strong steel cable. The bolts are hand tested before it leaves the factory.
- Multi-purpose lock: use the resettable heavy-duty padlocks for storage units, a gym, school or work locker, outdoor fence, pool box, hasp, gate, gun case, shed, toolbox, filing cabinet, etc.
- Strong and sturdy
- Multi-purpose use
- Lifetime warranty
- Difficult to change the lock.
8 Fingerprint Padlock by RoMech
This padlock is like a dream comes true. Our ancestors must have contemplated how great it would be if there were fingerprint padlocks available. After all, they had the most gems and jewelry store for us!
Anyway, so the era has finally arrived when you don’t need to worry about losing your keys or forgetting your pass lock; it’s all in your thumb now. It takes just a second to unlock the lock. This smart lock can record no more than 15 different fingerprints.
The exterior is made of aluminum alloy while the lock beam from stainless steel for extreme resistance. The padlock is undoubtedly weatherproof and resistant to water, so you need not worry. With a 300MAH Lithium battery, it can comfortably support about a year of standby time and be unlocked more than 2,500 times.
The lock comes in a portable smart box and enables you to carry it wherever you feel like it. This powerful, intelligent fingerprint padlock is suitable for offices, garages, house doors, handbags, bicycles, luggage, lockers, and so on.
RoMech is committed to its brand. Their priority is to serve their consumers with nothing but the best. So, for any reason, if you feel that you’re not satisfied, get a refund within 30 days of purchase with a 1-year warranty. Shop risk-free!
- Sturdy Structure and IP65 Water Proof
- 300MAH lithium battery can support a 1-year standby time
- Keys and cumbersome combinations
- The smart lock can record up to 15 different fingerprints
- Easy to use
- The most secured lock system
- 1-year warranty with a 30-day refund
- Suitable for any type of weather
- It requires an app to be downloaded on your smartphone, which then has access to all your contacts and location; a breach of privacy.
9. FJM Security SPRS60
The FJM Security SPRS60 is a high-security pick-resistant key. Many have reviewed this lock to be better than most other well-known brands because it’s worth every penny!
Constructed from durable hardened steel and triple chrome-plated materials, this uniquely designed padlock is suitable for every environment; solid and perfectly functional. What keeps it protected is the shrouded hardened steel shackle from any attack that may come from intruders, which includes sawing or cutting.
There’s no question about the durability of the lock. It’s a heavy-duty security lock that weighs no less than 1.25 pounds. The good part is, the lock comes with 4 unique keys, which is quite an advantage. You get 4 spare keys.
You can only remove the key in the locked position. It is believed to be a very unique design, which cannot be easily duplicated. An excellent solution if you have multiple locks and don’t want to go on carrying too many keys with you.
- Constructed out of durable hardened steel and is triple chrome-plated
- The padlock is heel-toe locking with a shrouded hardened steel shackle
- Comes with 4 unique keys
- Durable and weather-resistant
- Very solid
- Provides high-security
- Four keys included
- Unique key design
- Some consumers have complained about the jiggly noise inside the padlock after using it for a good 1 year.
10. ABUS 83CS/55-300 S2 Schlage 55mm Rekeyable Padlock Solid Steel Chrome Plated Body
ABUS 83CS/55-300 S2 Schlage 55mm Rekeyable Padlock is a bit larger than an average padlock, but not outrageously big. It’s an advantage that we see here. That’s because those who have used it to lock their employee locker or gym locker have returned thanking the manufacturer for this piece.
So, you can even lock a horse fence with this padlock, and no one can intrude on your property. Moreover, it’s ideal for heavy-duty works that allow for a secure lock precision.
With the solid hardened steel that it is made of, it provides extra protection against intruders trying to cut or break through it. The ease of use and high security makes it a fantastic choice for a steady padlock.
Setting this quality lock, you can rest assured that you won’t be losing any of your valuables and that neither will any intruders break through the boundaries.
- Lock body made of hardened steel with hardened special alloy shackle.
- Shackle guard: access restricted, protects the shackle from attack.
- ABUS patented Z-bar converts key retaining to non-key-retaining quickly.
- 1 key per lock.
- Heavy duty
- Very tough lock
- Optimal size
- One key per lock!
Padlock buying guide
The history of the padlock is long. Its origin credit goes to ancient Egypt and Greek people who invented padlocks for securing their valuable things. Nowadays, padlocks are universally accepted equipment for securing many things, from your bag, bike to your home door. However, not all types of latches give you ultimate security. Some shackles are easily accessible, while others are easy to cut using saws or bolt cutters. The article focuses on the areas that you need to choose while finding the best padlocks for you.
Padlocks are portable locks that include a pivoted hook or shackle. This pivoted hook is used to lock your desired objects. All types of padlocks, such as small, heavy-duty, or complex security, are made with three components.
- Body: The main and solid part of the padlock includes the locking mechanism and where you need to insert the key.
- Shackle: Shackle is basically a U-shaped metal that is attached to the main body. The shackle will not unlock unless you use the right key for opening it. There are generally five types of shackle:
Close shackle: It is one of the stronger and safer padlock shackles that you can choose for your belongings. A close shackle comes with built-in shoulders. This shoulder is designed in a way that shackles are exposed for a little portion, giving you the security from any kind of attack. Many insurance companies suggested using a close shackle. However, as the shackle is little, it is sometimes inappropriate to use for chains and other objects.
Open shackles: Open shackles are the most common types of shackles where the majority of the shackle part is exposed. Therefore, it is easier to use for various things like chains, doors, holes, and more. On the other hand, this type of shackle is very vulnerable to attack.
Semi-enclosed shackle: As the name suggested, this type of shackle is half-enclosed and half-opened. It is more secure than a close shackle and suitable for use for various objects.
Long Shackle: It is another form of open shackle where the shackle is long, giving you the facility to attach two objects that are slightly far from each other. If you need to pass the shackle through multiple hasps or fittings, you should choose these types of shackles. However, this is more vulnerable than an open shackle.
Adjustable shackle: You can adjust the shackle length based on your purpose.
Shackle-less or Hidden shackle padlocks: These types of padlocks also have a shackle that cannot be seen because of their location. This shackle is situated underside of the lock body. They come in both round and rectangular shapes. They are designed to attach with a special security hasp. Therefore, it grows in popularity for locking double doors, van, warehouse, and more.
- Locking mechanism/cylinder – For keyed padlocks, the locking mechanism has a key cylinder where you need to insert the key. On the other hand, you will find a rotary mechanism or dial as a locking mechanism in combination locks.
Types of padlocks
Padlocks can be used for locking doors, bags, gates, fences, chains, and other products. Padlocks simply use a locking device with a movable shackle and come in different sizes and materials. You can choose the sizes and materials based on your locking purposes. Such as, smaller padlocks are used in travel bags while heavy-duty padlocks are used in locking shutters, gates, and more.
Based on Size
Based on the size, padlocks can be divided into three categories:
- Small Padlocks: Small padlocks are surreptitious resistant and not bigger than normal suitcase locks. Because of their small size, thieves can easily cut the lock by using bolt cutters. Generally, these locks are used for sealing and tamper functions.
- Medium Padlocks: Medium padlocks are larger than smaller ones and come in various sizes. Basically, medium locks are available in the size of common Master Lock and hardware store lock. You can use medium-duty locks for various purposes including gates, doors, and bikes.
- Heavy-duty padlocks: These are the toughest padlocks and ensures higher security. Heavy-duty padlocks are also the largest one in size. Most heavy-duty padlocks are made with hardened steel and drill-resistance material. Many heavy-duty locks have shrouded features that give you the ultimate security while others can protect against drilling and grinding attacks. Moreover, heavy-duty padlocks feature very thick shackles, allowing the lock to fit various types of applications.
Padlock categories based on locking mechanisms
Padlocks are portable locks that are never attached permanently and work using a shackle for securing. Though padlocks come in various sizes, they can be divided into three categories based on the locking mechanism – Keyed padlocks, combination padlocks, and combination with key control.
- Keyed padlocks: Keyed padlocks use a key as the locking mechanism. There are two types of keyed locks- key-retaining and non-key-retaining locks. Key-retaining padlocks only remove the key when the lock is closed, while non-key-retaining locks give you the facility to remove the lock when it is open. Sometimes, the key lock also allows you to remove and replace the key cylinder so that you can use a new key. However, all the key padlocks do not have this feature.
- Combination padlocks: Combination padlocks are the type of locks that uses a series of number for unlocking instead of a key. You have to enter the numbers in the right sequences. Otherwise, the lock will not open. Though this type of lock is secured, ambitious thieves can decode it using various combination cracking systems.
- Combination with Key- control: This type of padlock offers maximum security as it comes with two types of unlocking systems. You can open the lock, either using a combination or key. If you forget your combination, you have the opportunity to use a master ‘control’ key for unlocking it. Therefore, combination with key-control locks is mostly seen for use in the school and lockers.
Based on Shape
Based on shape, padlocks can be split into four major categories: Discus, Shutter-lock or Anvil lock (rectangular), Conventional and Shackle-less, or Hidden shackle.
- Discus style or Circular or Round shackle padlocks – As from the name, you can easily guess that this type of padlock is round and comes with a curved shackle that is attached to its circumference. As it is circular, there is no angular corner. Discuss locks are best for securing gates, doors on sheds, and beach huts. You can also use the lock with hasps and staples for ensuring cycle security chains and cables
- Shutter Locks/ Shackle padlock/ Anvil Locks/Monoblocks/ Straight shackle – As the name suggested, Shutter locks are used for securing both internal and external shutters that are used in the shops. Other uses of these locks are found in parking posts, motorcycle security chains, etc. These locks are rectangular and feature a U-shaped body. The lock has a sliding bolt that closes the loop across the forks. As the lock is fastened near to the ground, it is difficult to unlock. On the other hand, optimistic bolt cutters also find it difficult to cut the lock for its body shape while the straight shacks make it tough for sawing.
Padlock buying guide – Things to check while buying padlocks
There are various things you should check while buying padlocks. Not only are the materials that are used to make the padlock, but also the other necessary elements are required to check. Some of the necessary things that you need to check are given below:
Materials and features: The first thing while buying a padlock, you need to check is its materials and features. Try to choose heavy and sturdy materials and padlocks with great features such as anti-drill coating, shroud, excellent shackle, and more.
Shackle – While choosing the types of padlock, try to find a padlock with ball bearings, which is used to maintain the separation between the bearing races. Ball bearings protect the shackle from being shimmed. It is pleasant that most of the padlocks come with ball bearings. Other things to consider about padlock shackles are –
- Try to choose a padlock that’s shackle is firmly attached to the two parts of its body.
- For higher security, choose a closed shackle or semi-enclosed shackle instead of an open chain. Tight shackles exposed as little of the shackle as possible which makes it one of the stronger and safer locks.
Shackle Shroud or shackle cover – Shackle shroud or covers are the additional metal layer that gives extra protection and limits the chances for shackle cutting or shimming. For opening the lock, you need to cut or remove the shackle shroud, which is not only time-consuming but also difficult, discouraging the most ambitious thief also, the less accessible the shackle, the more secure your lock.
Core – Core, also known as the cylinder, is the area where we insert the key. There are various types of pins that are used for locking. There are pins made with hardened steel, spools, serrated pin, and more. A removable core allows you to customize the system through most padlocks that do not have this feature.
Anti Drill Plate – Anti-drill plates cannot be drilled, giving you the security from theft through drilling. The padlocks that are made with drill-resistance materials do not allow the thief to drill and cut the lock. In a padlock, an anti-drill plate can be used in various ways. Sometimes a loose cover is used for spinning separately from the lock as the drill rotation simply spins the plate only without catching the metal.
Metal – Using good metal ensures good security. It is important to use better metal both for the body and the shackle. Some of the other things to consider are the thickness and type of metal. For instance, it is better to choose padlocks that are made with specialized alloy metal instead of standard hardened steel. You may think of choosing a heavy padlock, but thick alloy metal is better than heavier metal. Heavy padlock does not ensure high security always.
Checking the security level is one of the essential measures to consider while buying a padlock. Fortunately, two reliable industry standards ratings are found for padlocks though most manufacturers have their rating. These two organizations are: “Sold Secure” and “CEN.”
- Sold Secure: Sold Secure is an individual testing and certification house for security products that give ratings in three ways: Gold, Silver, and Bronze, where Bronze is the lowest standard. These ratings are given after evaluating the padlocks through various harsh tests and physical punishments. A full list of approved locks and other security products by “Sold Secure” can be found.
- “CEN” rating: Central European Norm (CEN) is a European organization that tested padlocks. Like “Sold Secure,” CEN also tested each product through various attack tests. However, their grading comes with CEN 1 to CEN 6:
- GRADE 6 – Maximum Security
- GRADE 5 – Extra High Security
- GRADE 4 – High Security
- GRADE 3 – Medium / High Security
- GRADE 2 – Standard Security
- GRADE 1 – Low Security
For commercial purposes, CEN Level 6 is the highest, while for consumer purposes, CEN level 5 is the highest. However, it is scarce to find a padlock with CEN level 6 grades. Our recommendation is to choose a lock with CEN 3 to CEN 6 rating for higher security.
Size: Size is another issue that you should check when buying a lock. You will not buy a heavy-duty padlock for your travel bag or luggage. Similarly, it is also foolish to choose small size padlocks for gates, fences, shutters, etc. Based on your needs and purpose of using locks, choose the size. Additionally, the shackle size is also needed to be considered. Check whether you can select the size to your required security hasp and staple, chain, and more.
So, what’s the definition of the best padlocks? Simply put, the one that keeps you safe.
Imagine what we went through when our office door lock got hacked? We had to re-review our list and make sure that you get the best ones. Locking the outdoor gate needs a simple, yet a strong lock. Keep the other smart padlocks are for the indoors; that’s what we’d suggest.
Choosing a padlock seems like quite a challenge in the beginning because out of so many options, it’s very likely to get confused. Until you fall in that position of struggling to find the right padlock, you won’t understand the pain. We hope you found this article to be helpful.
All of these padlocks are tested and compared. And trust us when we say this, our list consists of the most strong padlocks of all time. Let us know which one’s your favorite and which one you would be getting for yourself. Cheers!